Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Empire Strikes Back Part 2


The doorman at the Marcel "Angel" and I chat about the significance of the day. He brought it up. We stood watching the rain together quietly and then he broke the silence with, "Hard to believe it has been eight years". I was about to comment that the attacks seemed so long ago for me when he continued, ".........seems like yesterday". I asked if he was in the city when it happened and he nodded. He said he and thousands of New Jersey commuters walked over the Brooklyn Bridge together. "For one day, New Yorkers bonded and really helped each other." He seemed like he was wishing the bond had not been broken even though those who would break it would be waking up the next morning in their beds, ready to live out another day. He said, "I will never forget that feeling, we just did not know if it had ended or if there was more to come...we just walked and walked and when we crossed the bridge to the other side, our families were waiting....they were waiting, crying, carrying water and there were so many people safe on the other side...looking for us." He stopped. We both had come to a place where our emotions were crossing over...past the point where we would have cried openly in the lobby. My husband dashed in from the rain and Angel smiled, grabbed his umbrella and hailed us a cab.


So we rush off to the W at Union Square for drinks with a magazine editor and my college friend. Friend calls enroute to say.."Place is packed, trying to get table - Fashion week , ugh". Waves of guilt at the thought that we are arriving fashionably late and keeping someone I have yet to meet

(magazine editor) and someone I have not seen in 20+ years waiting and fighting off droves of fashionistas for a table in the W lounge.


Mind you the word "table" at the W consists a piece of furniture the size of a cardboard box and chairs are not much bigger. Of course this is a non-issue because the patrons who frequent the W have asses the size of two mini marshmallows. Our cab darted through the traffic in the rain, we hop out and I scan the room trying to match the redhead I saw on FB with the redheads in the room, except my connection was a natural redhead...and you can't miss a natural redhead. My college friend was right behind her and both had found "tables". I had try to time our arrival so I would have a few minutes to catch up with my college friend before the introductions began...but I blew that...but arriving anywhere in New York within 30 minutes of expected arrival seems forgivable.

No comments:

Post a Comment