Thursday, September 17, 2009

Literally the Best Burger in NYC




Irving Mill http://irvingmill.com/was my friend's choice of place for dinner, close to the W at Union Square with a simple fresh off the farm menu. We arrive after a quick teeter on high heels over wet pavement and are greeted by my friend's hubby who has kindly come into the city just to meet us. There was such a warmth about the place and the gathering of my old friend and our loved ones. The dark wood and high ceilings made the place feel like a spacious rural tavern. The bar at the Irving Mill is large, a good place to assemble a larger group for dinner. Ryan Skeen the Exec chef is known for his preference for pork and the fat rich mix of wet-aged flap beef, beef cheek, even the inclusion of fatback resulted in a juicy flavor rich burger for a reasonable $15.00! I found myself encountering a bit of grizzle in the meat but I was not daunted, it assured me the meat was ground freshly on premise. I started with one of the best Ceasar salads I have ever eaten, the entire heart of the romain served with small, crisp savory croutons and white anchovies. The salad was a perfect blendof fresh greens, salt, cheese and acid. Irving Mill, named after the famed author Washington Irving who wrote classics such a Rip Van Winkle and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, made us feel like we had slipped out of the crush of the 21st century city. This is a great new Manhattan restaurant with affordable well prepared food that will give those who have not gotten used to the din and pace of NYC a place to rest and enjoy a repast.

No comments:

Post a Comment