Monday, September 14, 2009

The Empire Strikes Back


This trip to New York on 9/11/2009 started with the reconnect with an art college friend on FB. He chatted away in his office in New York, where he works as an agent for a reputable firm for "talent", photogs, illustrators, stylists. I was in my home office in Mayberry, Pennsylvania repping a sculptor. We both had taken our art degrees and turned them into art facilitating careers. It was time to get together after 20+ years and compare notes and meet one another's respective husbands. All he had to say was the ever popular, "We should get together sometime" and I was booked.


Yes, booked into a hotel he did not recommend.You see the room was too small and inspite of his devotion to yoga practice, he did not like the cramped quarters at The Marcel at Grammercy. But he said some important postive things that every hotel should offer "clean", "good bed" and "good location"..that was a start. So I called the very same hotel front desk and said, "Look, my friend said he liked your hotel but you gave him a room the size of a suburban closet. Can you do better for me?" The next thing I knew I was in the native New Yorker game of "Oh Yeah, well lemme show you what we have got!" Room 707 at The Marcel was a corner deluxe with large by any standard and with great views of both 24th and 3rd ave and the parking was actually reasonably priced in the cleanest and even hippest parking garage called "The Penny Lane" brightly painted and papered with original posters from various Beatles joints.






No comments:

Post a Comment